- Particularly effective in binding:
ONLY WITH DIRECT MEDICAL ORDER
- It binds & absorbs ingested toxins still present in the gastro-intestinal tract following emesis.
- Once bound, the combined complex is excreted
- Should not be given before or together with ipecac, as it will absorb the ipecac & render it ineffective.
- Should not be given in cyanide poisoning.
- Of no value in poisoning due to:
- Methanol _ Caustic alkalis/acids
- Iron tablets _ Lithium
- None, unless the airway cannot be adequately controlled.
SPECIAL NOTES / RESTRICTIONS:
- Should only be given PO or NG in a slurry solution mixed with water / premixed.