- Scene size-up, including universal precautions, scene safety, environmental hazards assessment, need for additional resources, by-stander safety, and patient/caregiver interaction
- Assess need for additional resources.
- Initial assessment includes a general impression as well as the status of a patient’s airway, breathing, and circulation.
- Assess mental status (e.g., AVPU) and disability (e.g., GCS).
- Control major hemorrhage and assess overall priority of patient.
- Perform a focused history and physical based on patient’s chief complaint.
- Assess need for critical interventions.
- Complete critical interventions and perform a complete secondary exam to include a baseline set of vital signs as directed by protocol.
- Maintain an on-going assessment throughout transport; to include patient response/possible complications of interventions, need for additional interventions, and assessment of evolving patient complaints/conditions.
- Document all findings and information associated with the assessment, performed procedures, and any administration of medications on the PCR.