- The Daniel’s Law states that a “person who abandons a newborn (infant up to 60 days old) cannot be prosecuted for abandonment if he or she takes the unharmed baby to staff or an employee of a Safe Haven. A Safe Haven is defined as “a hospital or hospital outpatient facility, a law enforcement agency, a fire station, an emergency medical services station, or any staffed house of worship during hours when the facility is staffed.” Section 63-7- 40.
- To provide protection to infants who are placed into the custody of EMS under this law and to the EMS systems and personnel when confronted with this issue.
- Follow the Universal Patient Care Protocol.
- Follow the Newly Born Protocol as appropriate.
- Initiate other treatment protocols as appropriate.
- Keep infant warm.
- Call local Department of Social Services (DSS) 1-864-467-7750 as soon as infant is stabilized.
- Transport infant to GHS pediatrics.
- Document protocols, procedures, and agency notifications in the patient care report (PCR).
Attempt to obtain the following:
- Medical information about the baby’s parents.
- If possible, name of baby’s parents (the person leaving the child does not have to reveal his or her identity).
- Information about the birth.