Neublizer Inhalation Therapy
- Patients experiencing bronchospasm.
- Gather the necessary equipment.
- Assemble the nebulizer kit.
- Instill the premixed drug (such as Albuterol (Ventolin) or other approved drug) into the reservoir well of the nebulizer.
- Connect the nebulizer device to Oxygen at 4 to 6 liters per minute or adequate flow to produce a steady, visible mist.
- Instruct the patient to inhale normally through the mouthpiece of the nebulizer. The patient needs to have a good lip seal around the mouthpiece.
- The treatment should last until the solution is depleted. Tapping the reservoir well near the end of the treatment will assist in utilizing all of the solution.
- Monitor the patient for medication effects. This should include the patient’s assessment of his/her response to the treatment and reassessment of vital signs, EKG, and breath sounds.
- Document the treatment, dose, and route on/with the patient care report (PCR).