Central Line Maintenance
- Transport of a patient with a central venous pressure line already in place
- Prior to transportation, ensure the line is secure.
- Medications and IV fluids may be administered through a central venous pressure line. Such infusions must be held while the central venous pressure is transduced to obtain a central venous pressure, but may be restarted afterwards.
- Do not manipulate the central venous catheter.
- If the central venous catheter becomes dysfunctional, does not allow drug administration, or becomes dislodged, contact medical control.
- Document the time of any pressure measurements, the pressure obtained, and any medication administration in the patient care report (PCR).