Venous Access: Swan-Gaz
- Transport of a patient with a Swan-Ganz catheter that is in place prior to transport.
- Make certain catheter is secure prior to transport.
- Under the supervision of the nurse or physician caring for the patient, make certain the transport personnel are aware of the depth at which the catheter is secured.
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD TRANSPORT PERSONNEL ADVANCE THE SWAN-GANZ CATHETER.
- The sterile plastic sheath that surrounds the catheter should not be manipulated.
- The ports of the catheter may be used to continue administration of medications or IV fluids that were initiated prior to transport. These should be used as any other IV port with attention to sterile technique.
- If applicable, measurements from the catheter may be obtained during transport and used to guide care as per local protocols and medical control orders.
- If at anytime during the transport difficulties with the function of the Swan-Ganz catheter is noted, contact medical control.
- Document the time and any adjustments or problems associated with the catheter in the patient care report (PCR).